Ever wondered what the people who teach art create? Now's your chance at the Metropolitan State University of Denver Center for Visual Art
's (CVA) biennial exhibit that showcases the studio art and design of its faculty and staff.
The exhibits, located at 965 Santa Fe Dr., are open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and noon to 5 p.m. Saturday.
COLLECTIVE NOUNS: MSU Denver Art Faculty Exhibition is on view Nov. 18 to Jan. 21, bringing together objects across a variety of media including painting, drawing, sculpture, video and typography representing the artists' experiences, influences and interests. The exhibit offers visitors the opportunity to see how the team of faculty and staff weave together all of their disparate backgrounds and teachings to work toward the common goal of educating students from all walks of life to become innovative creative professionals.
"As an off-campus art center, it's important to make the connection with the university art department for vistiors in order to give context to the year-round exhibitions we bring to the community that include student works and significant contemporary art," says Cecily Cullen, managing director and curator at CVA. "COLLECTIVE NOUNS makes that link and as a biennial exhibition we are able to show the evolution and innovation of subjects and methods that our educators bring to students."
Many works in the exhibition will be for sale. The student-run 965 Gallery at CVA is showing a concurrent exhibition titled TIME: MSU Denver Student Exhibition featuring student-submitted artwork juried and curated by students that reflect the theme of time.
Events, which are free and open to the public, include:
Contact Confluence Denver Development News Editor Margaret Jackson with tips and leads for future stories at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opening reception: 6-8 p.m. Nov. 18
- Art and Digital Technology: 6 p.m. Dec. 1; artist talk with Michael Bernhardt, Kelly Monico, Jessica Moore and Tsehai Johnson
- Fonts of My Family: The Fleeting Craft of Cursive Writing: 7 p.m. Dec. 2, artist talk with Shawn Meek
- Conflict Crock Pots: 6 p.m. Dec. 7, slow-cooked politics, history, community, culture and imperialism discussion with Matt Jenkins
- Outsider Art and Disability in Art and Design: 6 p.m. Dec. 7, artist talk with Alan Murdock
- is EMANCIPATION: 6 p.m. Jan. 18, book release and talk with editors Peter Bergman and Zoe Larkins